Although the footprint of Washingwell Woods with the exception of the area formerly Watergate pit heaps and now a law, is generally identified as having been wooded for hundreds of years the nature of the trees growing there has been affected by man’s activity. As far as the fauna is concerned there have been many change, even in comparatively recent times. For example in the late 1950’s the National Coal Board, then owners of the wood, replaced the then indigenous trees with larch intended to be harvested for pit props. This monocultural nature for the woods restricted and changed its nature with, for example, a great reduction in the profusion of blue bells, which has resulted in the wood being generally known as the, ‘Blue bell’ wood. Fortunately a recent programme of management some of the larch trees felled, allowing more light once again to the forest floor resulting in a greater bio diversity.